I don't know whether to see this week as a success or a lucky escape. Fernandes and Haaland both blanked, so my captaincy decision paid off. A massive three points earnt there. From the highlights it looked as though Haaland should've scored, so it feels a bit jammy. Though, saying that, Liverpool looked attacking in their highlights too. Both Isak and Haaland had chances but looked rusty.
In the end it was Szoboszlai that hurt me with the late penalty. (I'm really glad I was at work for that one, as I'd have been hoping it was Isak's and the disappointment would've wounded me.)
Generally people's bench boosts looked a bit underwhelming too, which was a bonus. (Except those with De Cuyper, who justified the bench boost on his own with 17 points.)
I can now just roll my team over for GW2, assuming no injuries emerge. Then, after that second round of data and observation, I can make a few decisions on my path forward.
Man City Midfield
Interestingly, the Manchester City midfield did end up being the talking point. With Guehi starting instead of Kovacic. The general consensus seems to be that Guehi did well, though I suspect that's largely a consequence of the bar of expectation being so low. It also helps that he scored a goal. Either way, it's hard to imagine someone who was a Crystal Palace centre half just a year ago suddenly becoming a world class midfielder. Sometimes these things happen in football, but the odds are stacked against it.
On top of this, Anderson now has a yellow flag. So central midfield is clearly an issue. I wish I'd seen the game and not just the highlights to get a better sense of the performance. For me this is the big question with Haaland. Ultimately it's the team he's in that justifies the price. We know he's going to score, but he's not going to get three or four in a game if he's only getting one or two chances. Thankfully we have another gameweek to assess things.

No comments:
Post a Comment