Thursday, August 15, 2024

FPL 24/25: Template 'til Xmas

It's been a while. In truth, I'm still not in the mood for Fantasy Premier League. We had the Euros, which gave me my fill of summer football. Plus, we've had riots and God knows what else pulling my attention. So I've been a bit distracted.

At the end of last season my plan was to "Copy the Template until Christmas" this season - a little experiment I've been wanting to do for a while. This is still my plan, though the rule changes that were announced almost shifted me away from that. A few seasons ago I played FPL monthly - which I enjoyed. One of the big downsides with playing that way was that it meant burning a lot of transfers. Now we can save up to five that problem has been alleviated. Almost perfectly so. So, my first thought was, "Oh, I can try another season playing monthly." Perhaps had I been more switched on to football this preseason I might have went down that route, but my lack of interest has forced me to stick with the plan.

I haven't followed any FPL content at all over the last month or so. Today was the first time I attempted to watch a few videos. (Again, I'm not in the mood for it. I'm just not really feeling it.) It should be easy. After all, at the moment I'm just going to copy the template. However, it isn't that easy to find out what the template is exactly. At least with any precision. As it's not simply the most owned players overall, it's the collective wisdom of the 'FPL community.' I need to filter out the casual noise and get a sense of what the movers and shakers are doing.

We know the template when we see it (at least I would if I'd been paying attention this year), but at the same time it's a bit fluid and amorphous. Anyway, at the moment this is what I've got:


I'm not sure this is right, but I think it's in the general ballpark - no pun intended. Also, it's been so hard putting my own instincts to one side. If it's a 50/50 call, where there's tinkering around the edges, how do I exclude my own bias? It's not so easy. I've seen many teams with Flekken as the £4.5m keeper, but I've stuck with Henderson as that's what I tended to see at first.

Also, I'm in work tomorrow and Friday. So I won't be able to observe the onset of the Friday evening deadline. Hopefully, I can catch some more content tomorrow evening and get a better handle on things. I'm sounding like a bit of a Sad Sack, but I think the season has just came a few weeks too early for me. In some ways it's quite fitting. I don't really need to be too invested if I'm just going to be a copycat for the first three months.

I do need to get the start correct though. If I don't go into GW1 with a very template team it defeats the entire purpose of the experiment. So I must get my act together.

I don't even have a team name at the moment 😬

No comments:

Post a Comment