Friday, August 13, 2021

It Begins.. in a most mediocre fashion.

Please try again later when the updated scores / teams will be available.

Team sorted ..and it's looking a little too template for my liking, but with a few minor tweaks.

I'll roll through the players below.

Pickford.

This is probably my most interesting pick. I'm also slightly worried as apparently Everton have a few players self-isolating now. So hopefully he isn't one of them.

It's the fixtures plus Benitez that's moved me in this direction. Also Pickford tends to be quite consistent each season; points scoring wise, in an average sort of way. So he should tick along even if Everton are their mid-table standard.

Tsimikas.

This is one where I've most definitely just copied the crowd. £4.0m playing Liverpool defender. At one point I had a team with both Mane and Salah in, but when I thought about it I realised I was just ignoring a gift horse (or looking it in the mouth - however that works) just to be different. So I followed the herd. Perhaps it might be a Trojan horse though which should've been ignored.

Either way everyone else is doing it. So safety in numbers I suppose.

Trent Alexander-Arnold.

I also briefly had a team where I'd took out Trent to bring in Coufal. With Firmino coming in for Toney with the freed up cash. I actually quite liked that move and would've stuck with it had it not been for the uncertainty over whether Firmino will actually play. It felt a little boring changing things back, but it's probably the sensible move.

Digne.

I really like owning Digne. I think the upside is potentially very high ..that's if Everton tighten up under Benitez. With both him and Pickford in my side a lot will depend on this.

Wan-Bissaka.

This is one where I've strayed from the template a bit. Most are going for Shaw, but I prefer the reliability of Wan-Bissaka. He tends to be an ever-present. Plus, though his attacking returns aren't great, I think he did improve in that department last season.

Hopefully having him means I won't have to make too many transfers. Digne is quite injury (and red card) prone. So having a set and forget player in there too balances it out a bit.

Salah.

Next.

Raphinha.

The first few games aren't great, plus I'm a little worried about second season syndrome with Leeds. The price is so nice though. £6.5m. Making this an easy option.

Son.

I'm always a big fan of Son. £10m is a super price in my opinion. He's definitely a big hitter, so I think he's slightly under-priced given what he can do and how consistent he is.

Fernandes.

I only brought Fernandes in after Robertson got injured and freed up a bit of cash for me - and even then my instinct was to bring in Mane (as noted above). It's a pick I'm not really feeling at the moment. He tailed off a bit last season, and in the Euros he did nothing. Of course, he's still a great player to own, and it would've been a bit nervy going without him, but I would've preferred to have put the cash elsewhere.

In the end he's only in because there isn't an obvious alternative that's guaranteed to start. Mahrez would've been a more exciting pick, but I'd like to see City play a few games before I start taking risks.

Antonio.

I'm not entirely confident with this one. Feels like an injury waiting to happen. In fact, I've really struggled with choosing strikers all pre-season. No one really stands out to me. Last season it was great going with Bamford - I was quite confident he'd be worth his £5.5m (!) price tag and it was a fun little differential. This time out I'm just picking in hope more than expectation.

Toney.

Which leads me on to this one. There's no doubt Toney is a goal scorer. I've watched his goal reel on YouTube, and he's obviously a good finisher. Other than that though I know very little about him. So it's a gamble; and one I don't really have a gut feeling for.

Most of his goals seemed to be goals from in and around the six yard box too. Plus penalties. So he's going to be very dependant upon Brentford being able to get a decent amount of attacking play in the opposition's third.

Kick off is just a few minutes away though. So we'll soon find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment