Wednesday, September 7, 2022

FPL Gamemonth August: In The Mirror

Gamemonth August was painful. It's left me with a rank of 6,659,032.

(GW1 - GW6, top left to bottom right
- click to enlarge)

Captaincy Fail.

The obvious failing was captaincy. Son got just one assist in six games - 17 points in total. Salah in comparison delivered over twice as many points with 38.

And this is before we even mention Haaland, who already has 67 points on the board.

Obviously I would never have captained Haaland, but Salah was the obvious set and forget captain, and the template had both players. So a set and forget August side following the norm would've sailed along fairly nicely I suspect.

In fact, this is my main disappointment. I don't mind the rank, I'm really enjoying playing this way. However, I feel I've let the experiment down a little by going so heavily against the template. I've been enjoying myself a little too much. A gamemonth template side would've been a much more interesting comparison from a neutral perspective.

Son was my favoured pick though, and from a personal point of view I'm glad I went with my instinct. I feel I've been a little unlucky too - I don't think Son has been that far from returning in games (and sneak preview I'm actually keeping him on this week's September wildcard - I'll do another post revealing that team later this week).

The Rest of the Team.

I actually don't think the rest of the team was too bad. I was a little unlucky with Mitrovic staying benched each week - I never expected zero injuries or suspensions in the first six games. The Liverpool defence was over the top in hindsight, but the logic was there. Going Saka over Jesus was another anti-template fail, but only a minor one - in the end Jesus outscored Saka by just 5 points. So all in all the negatives all stem from avoiding Salah and Haaland.

Once again reminding us all that the template is the template for a reason.

Enjoyment.

From a pure enjoyment point of view this style of playing the game has been great so far. I'm super laidback about fpl. Even this week doing my wildcard I'm very relaxed. I also enjoy how invested I am in my players. The two goals Mbeumo got me in particular were really enjoyable.

I'm actually weighing up Mbeumo vs Toney on the wildcard right now. I'm sure the desire to keep Mbeumo is largely just pure sentiment (though that extra million or so would be quite useful).

The low rank doesn't annoy me (probably because playing this way gives my ego an excuse), however seeing the sheer badness of it has made my competitive urges kick in now. So as much as I'm enjoying playing like this I still want to do well.

When you look at the upcoming fixtures and try to pick a set and forget captain for the next month or so you realise how restrictive playing this way is. However, I'm down so far now because of my own decision to go with Son. I can't blame that on the system. So maybe if I get my decisions right there'll be benefits to playing this way too.

Saying this though God only knows how badly I'll do if I do get injuries and suspensions lol. I certainly wouldn't have gotten many points from Undav these first six weeks had I needed him. So as I continue my wildcard I need to make sure this first month doesn't make me complacent about how important the bench may be.

Perhaps that Mbeumo million may be needed after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment