Sunday, August 27, 2023

The Story So Far..

As I sit typing this Newcastle are currently 1-0 up against Liverpool. It's the tail end of GW3. I've had a thoroughly average week.

Three gameweeks in I'm feeling slightly "Meh" about my team. It hasn't been especially bad - my GW1 was fairly decent, however, weeks two and three have dropped off a bit. On top of this my team doesn't really feel like my team. I've been picking players partly on conservatism, rather than instinct. Largely trying to be sensible, and over-fixating on fixtures.

Anyway, I'll show my progress so far..

GW1: 83 points (Avg. 64)


GW2: 43 points (Avg. 44)

I used my free transfer to switch the injured Stones to Estupinan. This was a sensible move, and I was glad to correct the mistake. I was very lucky in GW1 to not get burned by Estupinan. He got seven points, but easily could've got seventeen. I was doubly lucky as Wan-Bissaka got a very jammy twelve.


GW3: 49 points (Avg. tbc)

(I rolled my transfer.)


Commentary

The Haaland perma-captain makes things a little boring. He's not exactly blowing it out the water so far this season, but he's still doing well enough that you'd feel foolish going against him.

If I'm honest though, I think it's Ederson losing his clean sheet today that has soured my mood. I should be grateful to have two clean sheets out of three from him, but in my mind I'd already pencilled in that third before the late goal.

I'm now in the strange situation where I'm not happy with my team, but at the same time I'm not sure who to bring in. I don't need to use the wildcard, but I think I should do an imaginary one to refresh my senses. Create an optimal team, then see if I can get closer to it with my two frees.

I'd really like to get on Newcastle assets ahead of the curve, but it's a little difficult. Upgrading Joao Pedro to Isak would be nice, but finding the cash could be a problem. I suspect Pedro will start the next Brighton game, so it might be better to hold fire there anyway. West Ham also play Luton in GW4, so switching a midfielder to Bowen or Ward-Prowse is tempting. However, that game is followed by games against Man City and Liverpool, so that would be brave.

..Now that I'm actually looking at my team and thinking about options going forward I'm starting to feel a little more optimistic. The obvious problem is that there are so many good midfield options it's difficult to know who to choose. The wildcard is very tempting, but I must resist. (I'm also wondering about when that Luton/Burnley game will be rearranged - Luton haven't looked great so far, so if the other Burnley fixture isn't too bad the 'Burnley Bench Boost' is a potentiality. So that's another thing.)

It's amazing how writing things down helps you work through your thoughts. I will definitely do an imaginary wildcard - it helps to work out which players I really, really want. Like a centrifuge. I need to start putting my imprint on things soon. Hopefully I can find my rhythm as the season kicks on.

(It's currently 1-1 in the Newcastle/Liverpool game; Darwin Nunez, five minutes to go.)

No comments:

Post a Comment