Monday, May 24, 2021

Final Gameweek - Season's End

Lucky, lucky finish.

Gameweek Points: 74
Gameweek Rank: 237,989
Overall Rank: 89,880

At four o'clock yesterday afternoon it was looking very dour. Bale benched, Greenwood benched, Bamford benched. So it could've, and perhaps should've, been a terrible final week.

That changed around quite dramatically though. Bamford off the bench to score a penalty. Bale getting two very late goals, and to round it off Greenwood staying on the bench meaning I got Calvert-Lewin's 2 points instead of his probable 1.

So quite fortunate.

It meant I jumped up into the top 100k, achieving the highest position I'd achieved all season. At one point (back in GW21) I'd climbed as high as 93k, but I slightly outdid that this time reaching the 90k mark.

I've now had three top 100k finishes on the bounce. So my record is respectable, but not especially impressive. Obviously the aim is to reach the top 1k, or even win it (yes! I'm that confident). However, my record so far suggests I'm a second rate fpl manager, rather than a top tier one.

Still though, there's always next season, and with that in mind I'll need to learn some lessons from this one.

The failings that immediately spring to mind are: I didn't plan my captaincies with enough care. I didn't own Dallas at any point this season (yet again it's a season where I've failed to get on the optimal attacking defenders). Also, I put too much importance on previous seasons, and didn't adapt to this season's form - Liverpool being the obvious case in point, where I ignored the fact that they weren't looking good in the hope that they'd find their previous brilliance.

(Though saying that investing in their dodgy defence did pay dividends for me in the final run in).

There are no doubt myriad others. So over the summer I'll have to have a more in depth look.

I've also done one last final update of my graph.




It's looking a little crowded. So I may need to find a slightly better way of illustrating things next season.

Time for a well-earned breather now though :)

Enjoy the summer 🌞

Overall Points: 2398
Overall Rank: 89,880

No comments:

Post a Comment