Friday, September 14, 2018

Fantasy Premier League: Friday Preview - Gameweek 5

Last time out I got a pretty decent score of 71 points, which also meant that so far I've beat the gameweek average in each of the four weeks this season. A start I'm very happy with. Consequently though I'm a little bit fearful that this week will be the first bad one. So fingers crossed it'll all come good.

In goal it's the first week where I've had a slightly difficult decision to make - Hennessey away to Huddersfield vs Dubravka at home to Arsenal. Hennessey seems like the obvious choice so that's what I'm going with. However, I think Newcastle have looked much better than people have given them credit for, especially defensively - in spite of their very poor points tally. So Dubravka is a temptation. However, as you can see below I'm going with Yedlin at the back too. So it would probably be unwise to double down on Newcastle.

(Hennessey in goal, Robertson, Mendy, Alonso and Yedlin
at the back  - click to enlarge)

This'll be the first start I've given Yedlin, so I'm hoping he'll have a similar week to last, where he clocked up 7 points. The other three are pretty much the template now, so nothing too much to say. Though I have been thinking about cashing in on Mendy and bringing in a nice safe Spurs centre-back. This would be quite sacrilege for most FPL managers, but the fact that Mendy was previously out injured for so long leaves me with a nagging doubt it'll happen again. Plus will City really deliver on clean sheets? ..hopefully the assists will keep coming though :D

(Midfield - D. Silva, Lucas Moura and Eden Hazard)

I really like the look of this midfield on paper. I just hope all three start. So far Silva hasn't picked up too many points for me - just 3 in two weeks so far since I brought him in. I'm still confident he'll come good though, as he's played well despite the lack of points. So hopefully this'll be the week.

Hazard once again captain too. I think he'll be my default captain for the foreseeable future. Captaining him last week paid off massively for me. Aguero could quite easily outscore him tomorrow, but he could also potentially be benched too knowing Pep. So I'm quite happy to play it safe. Though if Aguero does have a good week and his price rises further I'll be very tempted to cash in and switch to Lukaku - that would be a real gamble !

(Deeney, Firmino and Aguero)

So in attack I have my new signing; Troy Deeney. When I saw Zaha was injured I decided to make the change pretty sharpish. I'm a huge fan of Zaha and think he's probably the most talented player in the Premier League outside of the top six. However, when I put him in at the start of the season I was apprehensive about injuries as he spent so much time out last season. So I deemed this injury a bad sign, even though it's still possible he could play tomorrow.

Deeney is someone I've always been a fan of. If he actually keeps starting games I'll be more than happy to keep him in the team. It's not a perfect solution though as it stands.

Also, apparently Firmino got back from international duty later than many of the other Liverpool players, so there's talk he could potentially be benched. Therefore I guess it's just a case of hoping he does start.

(Gameweek 5 bench - Dubravka,
Tomkins, Stephens and Guendouzi)

Finally, my bench. It looks doubtful Tomkins will be fit and ready, but I may as well have him first in line to fill in as if he does start a clean sheet is plausible. The other two generally just deliver 1 or 2 points per game. Which is nice as a back up, but nothing really to write home about. It'll be interesting to see if Guendouzi keeps starting though, as I'd probably prefer to keep an Arsenal player when I upgrade. However, at the moment Stephens looks the more sensible option to keep.

So, my final team for Gameweek 5;

(Gameweek 5 teamsheet
- click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment