Monday, September 3, 2018

Fantasy Premier League: GW4 Review

Very nice week for me, which means my first gameweek review can be an easy one.

Gameweek Points: 71
Gameweek Rank: 59,762
Overall Rank: 193,646

The gameweek average was 44 points this week, so I'm very pleased. I had a hell of a lot of luck - a Hennessey penalty save, a very lucky Lucas Moura assist, and Alonso just getting one yellow card when he easily could have picked up two. Some of my big calls also paid off as well though. Hazard outscored Aguero - justifying the captains armband, and sticking with Firmino finally paid off as he grabbed his first goal of the season.

(click to enlarge)

Having Robertson, Alonso and Mendy also paid off handsomely again. Salah failing to assist or score for the first time this season also helped a lot too :)

My midfield was a bit hit and miss. Hazard and Moura came good, but Silva, Guendouzi and Stephens contributed just four points between them. Though Stephens did come off my bench for the injured Zaha, so his point was something of a bonus really. Guendouzi in particular looks unlikely to pick up any significant points in the future. He plays so deep that even an odd assist looks unlikely. He also drops back for Arsenal's corners and set plays. So that area of my team definitely needs improvement.

I've just used my transfer to switch the 7m (and still injured) Zaha for the 6m Troy Deeney. So the following week I'll have a spare 1.1m to make some kind of change. Perhaps Jorginho or maybe James Milner. It would be nice to have an extra Chelsea player for their GW5 tie with Cardiff, but I don't think it would be worth the minus 4 sadly. So I'll have to wait another week to spend the cash.

(Troy Deeney - 
this week's free transfer)

I should also show my GW4 bench before I forget. It wasn't too bad thanks to Newcastle's semi-decent display against Man City. It would have been nice to have added Yedlin's goal to my overall points tally, but my fear that City would put five and six past Newcastle made me leave him last in the pecking order.

(GW4 bench)

The injury to Tomkins is more of a minor irritation than a major worry at the moment, so I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

The Top Five Players I Don't Have That I Fear


Whenever I'm talking to people about FPL teams it always seems to come back to one question - who you fear not having in your side. I think the two biggest reasons why people pick players are either because they really rate them, or they really fear not having them. We all have our favourite players. Players we want to have in our side. In my case these are probably Firmino, Robertson, Azpilicueta (who I sadly had to drop for Mendy), Son (who I'm still tempted to have in my side even though he's barely featured yet). Also, being a Middlesbrough fan I'm very tempted to get in Wolves' Adama Traore - it's especially difficult to resist the temptation when there's a club association.

This desire to pick our favourite players can be good ..but it can also lead us astray. It's similar with the fear factor. It can be useful, but it can also lead you to suspend your own judgement on a player and just follow the herd, or the stats. Was it a good decision for me to callously drop Azpilicueta for Mendy? So far it seems like a good decision, but only time will tell.

Anyway, I thought it would be good to have a Top 5 Players I Fear each week, as it's probably the best and most succinct way to rate the top players I don't have. So this week's list...

1. Lukaku
2. Salah
3. Kane
4. Mane
5. Trippier

Normally Salah and Kane would be top. Especially given that I decided to completely dismiss both of them at the beginning of the season. I don't even have a plan to get either in if they start tearing it up. After watching the weekend's fixtures though my fear has shifted elsewhere a little bit.

Lukaku may seem like an odd choice for top spot, especially given how poor Man Utd have started, but it's what my gut instinct says at the moment. He's going to start pretty much every game. He will get goals. It's just a question of how many. Even after he misfired against Tottenham his two goals yesterday weren't surprising.

Also my team is set up in a way where I'd pretty much have to drop Aguero to bring him in. Plus I've never been a huge fan of Lukaku, so I'll drag my feet if it gets to the point where he becomes essential to own.

Mane and Trippier are pretty much self-explanatory. Both have made great starts to the season and look on course to keep doing well. Aubameyang and Lacazette are not too far down the list either, with both looking much better at the weekend. It'll be interesting to see if my list is still the same after Gameweek 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment