Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Fantasy Premier League: Gameweek 8 Review

I'm quite pleased following this gameweek. Nothing spectacular, but it feels very nice to have an above average week after two below par ones.

Gameweek Points: 67
Gameweek Rank: 809,595
Overall Rank: 108,784

(Click to enlarge)

The gameweek average was 50 points, so 67 is pretty decent I think. My Lacazette for Aguero switch paid off quite handsomely. So that was definitely a positive. Hazard likewise came good again.

My big problem continues to be the Sokratis situation, as he was once again benched. I'm not sure what action to take just yet. I still like the idea of having an Arsenal defender just for team balance. They definitely look to be improving game on game, and a top six finish (i.e. a decent amount of winning results this season) looks pretty much guaranteed.

(Arsenal's current centre-back options - Shkodran Mustafi,
Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Rob Holding)

The problem with the Sokratis & Mustafi centre-back pairing seems to be the lack of pace, especially when attempting to play a high line. So perhaps going forward it'll be just one of those plus a more pacey defender. The younger Rob Holding has played in place of Sokratis for the last two and half Premier League games, so it'll be interesting to see if that continues. At just £4.4m he would be great value for a playing top six defender.

Apart from the Sokratis issue I'm reasonably pleased with my overall team at the moment. There are a few changes I'd like to make if I had a wildcard, but nothing major. I think in future I may try to upgrade one of my cheaper defenders to another top six defender. Perhaps David Luiz. Then I'll be able to play a much more settled and reliable 4 or 5 at the back. Rotating my fifth defender with my third striker depending on the fixtures.

So each week I would have either a 5-3-2 or 4-3-3 formation. It's so hard predicting who will and won't start in the midfield positions this season that I think three is the way to go, with two back-up bargain basement midfielders on the bench.


(My Current Template Plan)


The Top Five Players I Don't Own That I FEAR

1. Aguero
2. Any Wolves Defender
3. Richarlison
4. Trippier
5. Kane

First up, and notably, this is the first time I don't have Salah in the list. The fear has been fading fast, even with Liverpool's home fixture against Cardiff on the horizon. So I'm not in the least worried about not having him in my side at the moment. Though things could change. It is still fairly early in the season after all.

Having switched Aguero for Lacazette he now rises to the top of my list. It's a gamble losing him and I'm just praying it pays off. Or at least doesn't damage me too much.

My lack of Wolves players is really damaging me at the moment too. I completely missed the boat with Wolves, and it seems like every other FPL team has at least one of their superb value defenders in their side. Even if it's just the super-cheap Bennett. I now have the conundrum of whether to jump on the bandwagon or just wait it out and hope Wolves have a dip in form soon.

Richarlison starting up front for Everton really makes him look like someone who's potentially essential. I'm not hugely keen on Everton players as I think it's hard to tell exactly what sort of season they'll have, or what their overall style will be going forward. I'm having a serious look at Richarlison now though. He seems like a natural replacement for Lucas Moura if he stops making the Spurs starting eleven.

Trippier looks like the best Spurs option at the moment. Seeing him in other people's sides and Sokratis in mine really makes me feel like I have a huge weakness. Again, I'm not sure what my plans are yet regarding future defensive personnel, but sadly I think Trippier is now well out of my budget with my current set up. So as with the Wolves defensive options I guess I'm just going have to be patient and hope for the best.

Finally, Kane still looks like he's going to end the season with a huge tally to me. His blank against Cardiff will have disappointed a lot of people, but I think that's more a case of random bad luck than bad judgement on the part of the people who captained him. He looked very sharp against Barcelona, and I think people have probably been reading too much into his overall performances during these opening months of the season. He'll definitely bag a fair amount of goals. Whether he justifies the high price tag though is another question.

My Overall Points: 511
My Overall Rank: 108,784

No comments:

Post a Comment