Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Graph Update.. and Game-Month Management Update

I updated my little graph for the first time in a good while. Seeing this season in comparison to the others made me feel a little better about my recent poor gameweeks. Still, momentum is everything, so I need to pick up in these last few weeks to get another sub-100k finish.

(click to enlarge)

My previous finishes were:

17/18: 109,229
18/19: 30,785
19/20: 80,671
20/21: 89,880

I didn't track the gameweeks of my first season, so that's missing from the graph - thankfully, as it would look even more crowded.

I'm hoping for a good finish this season as I really want a good average for the five years. The average of those four seasons is around 80k, so I'd be very happy with something similar. Then I'll have nice respectable record against which I can compare my coming seasons ---->> the gamemonth seasons.

I'll then be able to put those seasons on a nice new graph.

FPL Game-Month Management

I should probably explain my plans for next season a little. I'm planning to do gamemonths instead of gameweeks.

The basic rule is I can only make changes one gameweek per month.

"Gamemonth August" will be the first month (assuming that's when the season starts); which will have to be GW1 of course. Then the second gamemonth will be "September".

So let's say GW4, GW5, GW6 and GW7 all fall in September I can then pick one of those weeks to make changes - but only one.

(Which months the weeks fall in will solely depend up the deadline day - so if the deadline is September 30th that week will be a September week, even if some of the games spill over into the following month.)

Basically this style of playing will be something like a halfway-house between having a zombie team and playing normally. Hands off fantasy football, but not completely hands off. A less labour intensive way of playing.

Pros and Cons

There are some obvious downsides to playing this way. Most notably that it simply massively reduces the options.

  • Transfers will have to be burned
  • Can't react to team news or injuries each week
  • Can't change captain or bench each week
  • More difficult to utilise the chips

On the plus side though:

  • It'll force me to tinker less
  • It'll be fun picking a set and forget captain for 4 or 5 weeks
  • The vice captain becomes much more important
  • The bench and its order becomes much more important
  • I'll nearly always have 2 free transfers in the weeks I do get to change things

So it could be fun. I'll be able to pick a squad of players, set them up, then just sit back and put some faith in them. I won't be constantly fretting about who to take out, or whether to take a (-4).

Rank

It stands to reason that my rank will suffer massively playing this way. You'd think reducing the number of transfers and the ability to react to team news will be enormous. Still, you never know, perhaps restricting things this way won't be as bad as expected.

Either way, I am looking forward to it. I feel like I'm just going through the motions playing the way I am now. The passion I had a few seasons ago just isn't there, and now I almost feel like I'm forcing myself to put the time in each week; mainly just for the sake of rank.

So this is a way of drawing a line under things, but in a way that allows me to keep enjoying the game - albeit with a little less intensity. This is another reason why a decent finish this season would be nice. I'll be able to look back at my time playing weekly (i.e. properly) and say I had a relatively decent record.

....

Oh, and returning to this season briefly; as things currently stand I'm thinking of bringing in Pickford this week, not Schmeichel or Ederson. So that's where I am at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment