Monday, November 12, 2018

Fantasy Premier League: Gameweek 12 Review

Above average gameweek for me this time out. The gameweek average was 48 points, I got 55. So I can't have too many complaints. In fact, overall it was a good week, and it was just my choice of captain that let me down.

Gameweek Points: 55
Gameweek Rank: 1,505,114
Overall Rank: 206,565

(click to enlarge)

So, the good and bad..

Good :D
  • Alonso and David Luiz clean sheet plus bonus :)
  • Andy Robertson massive 12 point score
  • Gündogan came off the bench and scored, repaying my weeks and weeks of faith
Bad :(
  • Hazard, my captain choice, failed to notch
  • Firmino blanked yet again
  • Lacazette blanked
  • Likewise no goals or assists from Sterling and Moura
  • Newcastle conceded

The once minor issue with Firmino not scoring is now becoming a major issue. I actually think, in pure footballing terms he isn't playing that badly - he's working hard, he isn't giving the ball away, and he's still linking up well. However, in FPL terms he's not doing at all well, and simply doesn't look like scoring at the moment. I want to stay patient ..after all he is playing up front for Liverpool. I have a lot of money tied up in him though. Also Liverpool, though they're winning games, don't seem to be quite as fluid as previously. So that's also something I have in mind.

Consequently I have a big decision to make. At present I'm thinking of a simple fix. Firmino & Lacazette out, Jiménez & Agüero in. I feel not having Agüero is still hitting me hard, despite having Sterling. It'd also free up a little cash for elsewhere. Luckily I have two free transfers so it would be a cost-free switch. It would perhaps be better to wait until GW14 to make the switch though, what with Agüero seeming to do better in his home fixtures.

Thankfully though I have a nice long international break to think things through, so there's no huge rush at present.

Saying that, it does remind me, a few weeks back I knocked up the following meme featuring Firmino, echoing my faith in the patient approach. A patient approach that paid off yesterday with Gündogan, and the weekend before with Moura.

(The patient approach)

However, at the moment it feels more like this.

(The reality)


The Top Five Players I Don't Own That I Fear

1. Agüero

As already stated Agüero continues to look like a must own player. The option of captaining him for home games is a huge luxury for anyone with him as he seems pretty much guaranteed to score. My use of the captain has been letting me down quite badly, so the choice taken to go without Agüero is looking very bad in that regard.

2. Salah

Salah yet again scored. Similar to Agüero he seems like a really safe option for captain for Liverpool's home games. He's still completely out of my thinking in truth though, and I wasn't particularly impressed with his all round game at the weekend. However, he keeps scoring, and always looks the most likely scorer in Liverpool games, so it continues to be a big problem not having him.

3. Mahrez

Mahrez is starting to look really good in a Man City shirt. It seems he's starting to settle in now, and every time he plays he looks capable of both goals and assists. I'm very tempted to bring him in if and when I ditch Firmino. Agüero is the safer and much more sensible choice, but Mahrez, like Sterling, looks capable of getting big scores in single gameweeks.

With the rotation factor he's a little bit of a gamble, but it could provide a big payoff. What I particularly like about Mahrez is that he looks quite selfish, and in a very unselfish City side he could end up being on the end of a lot of moves. His penalty miss earlier in the season was a big blow for him and his owners, but it shows the self-confidence he has. So shots, free kicks and perhaps more penalties could be on the cards.

4. Kane

Kane got an assist at the weekend. Not massively impressive in of itself, but both him and Spurs are starting to look very good in my opinion. Kane is well out of my price range, so if he starts firing it'll be a huge benefit to the people that own him ..and a huge problem for me.

5. Alli

Alli seems to be back to fitness now. Spurs have a very nice run of fixtures coming up, so he could be a great asset. In fact, having watched Spurs play in both the league and in Europe I think they look like they're coming into form too. So ideally I'd like another Spurs player in my line-up.

I really hope Lucas Moura continues to start, but it's looking like his minutes will start diminishing now that others are coming back from injury. At the moment I'm looking at keeping Moura and possibly bringing in Alderweireld for Spurs cover. However, Alli is the most attractive option. Finding the extra £2m to upgrade Moura will be a problem though :(

Overall Points: 720
Overall Rank: 206,565

No comments:

Post a Comment