Friday, August 30, 2019

FPL GW4 - Greenwood, Greenwood, Greenwood

I should start this with the caveat that I haven't really been following the latest team news today. With the wildcard still active I'll be doing a more thorough check later on. Normally I'm all sown up by this point barring major team news, but with the deadline being tomorrow I may as well take the time to tinker the wildcard as much as possible.

The one major point of consideration that has been occupying my thoughts is the possibility of removing Joelinton to bring in Patrick van Aanholt. Essentially meaning a return to five at the back. PVA is already top for points in defence and Palace have some nice looking games. Joelinton's home fixture against Watford looks too nice though. Plus it would be galling if I took him out now to see him score a couple of goals. So I'm sticking for the time being.

(..as things stand)

The real point of this article, hence the title, is Mason Greenwood though. There's a possibility he could start tomorrow and at the moment I even have him in my starting eleven (that may change though).

At the start of the season I was quite excited when I saw Mason Greenwood at 4.5m. Obviously he was bottom of the pecking order, but with Lukaku going and no one coming in it meant he would be guaranteed at least some game time. Especially with injuries being an inevitability at various points during the season. Now with Sanchez leaving that's even more so the case.

Therefore if he does start tomorrow it shouldn't really come as too much of a surprise to anyone.

Anyway, my initial enthusiasm for Greenwood was dampened as I listened to various other FPL commentators downplay his prospects of getting serious minutes. I should perhaps say at this point that though I tend to just keep to myself in FPL and do my own thing. Posting my little blog posts. A bit like someone alone at sea filling in their journal. I do watch a lot of FPL content, especially on YouTube. There's so much good stuff out there. Fantasy Football Scout and Let's Talk FPL are pretty much essential viewing. I'm really enjoying watching Planet FPL this season. FPL Wildcats, FPL Cougars. Capkin Gaming, FPL General. The list goes on. There's so much good stuff out there, and they all actually seem like quite decent people too. (I like to imagine that they all hate each other behind the scenes lol but that probably isn't the case.)

So I do benefit a lot from listening to other people when it comes to information. I think the one problem with watching so much content though is that it makes people overthink things, or dampen their own instincts. It seems to add a fear factor. No one wants to look like a casual player or like they don't know what they're doing. Taking a risk on an obscure player that no one's heard of is one thing, but just sticking a player in your team because he plays for Chelsea or Man United can look a little amateurish if it doesn't pay off.

I've had this problem myself with players like Kanté. He's not a bad option for his price (116 points last season isn't too bad at all), but putting him in your team looks like the sort of move a casual player would make, or that a child with only a limited knowledge of football would make. So you avoid doing it for fear of looking like that.

I think it could be similar with Greenwood.

This is potentially a Manchester United striker, getting serious game time, that costs just 4.5m.

It would be massive if he gets a run of games, but it's almost too obvious a risk for people to take. Everyone instead is looking for a 4.5m gem from Aston Villa or Norwich or somewhere like that. A clever choice. An original find.

If fact, it's quite fitting that I'm currently trying to decide whether to start Greenwood or Cantwell. Obviously it's quite possible that Greenwood won't start, so that's a big risk factor, but if he does start who would I rather have?

If you asked a ten year old whether they would rather have a Manchester United striker or a Norwich midfielder they would say a Manchester United striker without even hesitating.

Is that because it's so obviously the better choice that even a child can see it? Or is it just because kids are idiots?

If I go with my inner child perhaps Greenwood will start and get a couple of goals. Then again, he could sit on the bench for 85 minutes and Cantwell could get a very boring, but valuable assist ..and I'll be sitting there feeling and looking like a child. It's a bit pathetic to be bothered about such things really, but we're all social animals and we can't completely escape worries about how we're perceived by other people.

If Greenwood starts getting games though, then the Greenwood / Joelinton strike partnership is definitely on. Stuff Pukki, he'll be straight out, far too expensive for my tastes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment